For those not in the industry, rope access can sound like a simple term: Using ropes to gain access. However, these techniques have evolved to become an extremely valuable service in construction, infrastructure, cinema, and more. Working professionals rely on a full collection of rope access tools to gain access to areas in need.
If you’re looking for the rope access equipment needed to work at height in a safe and effective manner, Inner Mountain Outfitters is here to deliver ideal results. Our online caving and climbing store provides the harnesses, straps, rigging plates, and rescue gear needed for professionals to get the job done.
If you have questions about rope access or the equipment we offer, keep reading to learn about a few of our most frequently asked questions, and be sure to browse our online shop to find the outdoor gear you need to thrive!
What is rope access?
Simply put, rope access is a proven set of techniques relying on ropes and climbing gear to create the safest and most effective way for working professionals to gain access to varying heights. Most teams will deploy a working rope for employees and a backup rope in case the main line fails.
What can rope access be beneficial for?
When deployed correctly, rope access equipment can provide proven results for nearly any professional need. The ability to safely access tall heights for individuals can provide an up-close and personal look for surface inspections, maintenance, and more.
To give you an idea of just how versatile rope access methods can be, we’ve assembled a few of the top uses:
- Maintenance services on bridges, towers, and dams
- Exterior painting
- Structural inspections
- Welding or cutting
- Caving applications
- Managing towers and windmills
- Rescue operations
- Motion picture shots
How safe is rope access?
While the idea of working at extreme heights sounds like a dangerous proposition for any individual, the truth is that modern standards have helped to ensure rope access is a very safe process. All technicians working at height will be required to undergo extensive training and testing to minimize the chances of an accident occurring.
The level of safety in rope access depends largely on the individuals and their gear. Thorough inspections and risk assessments before each project will help to provide an added level of confidence to your team. How you maintain your equipment after each use will also help to ensure safety down the line!
Why is rope access so beneficial?
Many customers we outfit with top-quality rope access equipment have a working knowledge of how to best use their gear, but are unaware of how advantageous this technique is compared to traditional methods such as scaffolding.
Rope access has been proven to be beneficial for many reasons:
- Efficient — Rope access is fast and effective, allowing for simple setups with minimal downtime, delivering safe results in confined areas of all types.
- Versatile — The ability to access nearly any surface is beneficial when working with smokestacks, bridges, skyscrapers, and more. Given the proper training and techniques, rope access teams can reach almost any area in need of service.
- Eco-friendly — Traversing varying elevations without the need for machines or power tools minimizes the negative impact on the environment.
- Cost-effective — All of these benefits help to lower the costs in terms of labor and materials. Many industries rely on rope access techniques to provide ideal results without the high price tag!
What gear do I need to do rope access?
If you are just starting out, it is important to acquire the right gear and training. The full list of what is needed for rope access will vary based on the unique task for each worker, as well as their comfort level with varying pieces of equipment. We recommend seeking out proper training for assistance in completing a safe loadout for your rope access needs.
Inner Mountain Outfitters is here to provide a full range of rope access equipment, including:
- Climbing harnesses
- Hand and chest ascenders
- Stirrups for foot placement
- Connectors and locking carabiners
- Fall arrest systems
- Access ropeHow do you get rope access certified?
The Society of Professional Rope Access Technicians (SPRAT) is a non-profit agency dedicated to developing and maintaining standards for rope access techniques to ensure a consistently safe outcome for crews working at height. SPRAT certifications prove an individual’s credibility with rope access, and comes in three levels for technicians:
- Level 1: Technicians. A basic certification allowing technicians to work under the guidance of lead technicians or their supervisors.
- Level 2: Lead Technicians. Individuals tasked with conducting operations and safety checks.
- Level 3: Rope Access Supervisors. An individual tasked with the entire work site as well as managing all technicians and their leads.
Inner Mountain Outfitters is here to provide the best rope access equipment and climbing gear to working professionals and outdoor enthusiasts alike. If you still have a question, feel free to contact us online for assistance. Are you ready to get started? Browse our online shop for the rope access gear you need, and take advantage of our free shipping on orders over $150!